In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Congress allocated three rounds of financial relief, generally referred to as the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund to support students and institutions of higher education during the ongoing pandemic. The latest round of funding comes with significant improvements that make it easier to direct funds to all students with financial need. Additionally, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) issued guidance that will allow institutions to distribute aid and address costs and lost revenue incurred from the pandemic.
The Hope Center has developed this guide to provide institutions with support and guidance around how to deliver these funds in ways that address basic needs insecurity and reach marginalized, minoritized, and low-income students. We focus on key areas for consideration, including:
- HEERF Funding, Background, and New Expanded Eligibility
- Assessing Need and Identifying Recipients
- Prioritizing Students and Bringing Students Back
- Timing and Outreach Strategies
- Creating a Culture of Caring for Students