Access to reliable and affordable transportation is a key issue for #RealCollege students. Access to affordable transportation to get to and from their classes, their jobs, and their homes is a vital component of student success. Students are limited to where they can live and what they can afford because of this challenge. The Hope …
Our projects address challenges of life, logistics, and finances for #RealCollege students, ranging from surveying prevalent problems to experimental evaluations of solutions to case studies that shed light on the how and why. We also host an annual conference to help improve connections and collaborations, support a national membership organization of campus food pantries, and develop products, policy agendas, and practice guides to help serve #RealCollege students better.
- #RealCollege Survey of Students’ Basic Needs: Informing campus leaders and policymakers
- Annual #RealCollege Conference: Bringing together the people making change happen
- Real Price of College: Collaborating with financial aid administrators and students to understand what college really costs.
- Starfish Project Hope: Investigating basic needs insecurity and improving student success with a retention platform
- Southern Scholarship Foundation housing initiative: Rent-free student housing for Florida students
- Supporting Public Housing in Chicago: Helping residents complete community college
- Food Scholarships in Houston: Helping community college students afford groceries
- Housing Vouchers in Tacoma: Making housing more attainable for community college students
- Subsidized Meals in Boston: Enabling students to eat in the cafeteria
- Rent-Free Housing in Florida: Providing cooperative living for low-income students
- Innovating Financial Aid: Testing the efficacy of completion grants
- Fighting Poverty with a Culture of Caring: Examining the impact of institutional change
The Hope Center, in continuing the mission of the #RealCollege movement, wants to give institutions the tools to assess the needs of their own student populations. Our 2019 Survey Guide will help institutions to develop their own #RealCollege survey, with guidelines for recruiting students, how to structure the survey questions, and the measurement instruments that …