Reports to: Executive Director, Christy Baker-Smith
Position Type: Full-time, Executive Leadership
Salary Grade: T27 (see the relevant salary range here)
Benefits: See full list of benefits here
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Other: This is a grant-funded position.
Summary of Position
The Hope Center for College, Community and Justice, at Temple University is offering an expanded opportunity for an Associate Director of Finance & Administration to join our growing team.
Hope is an action research center focused on supporting #RealCollege students. Our diverse team of researchers, practitioners, policy analysts, and communications pros blend evaluation expertise with real-world experience. We are committed to new resources for communities that need affordable, accessible, high-quality education from high school through higher education and beyond. Our teammates demonstrate why #RealCollege matters: we have collectively lived the challenges of navigating government bureaucracy and cash-strapped colleges, experienced the trauma and perils of living without financial stability, and experienced marginalization along nearly every possible line.
The Hope Center seeks an Associate Director who is passionate about addressing structural inequality and racial disparities and committed to sustaining a team that gets into what the late Cong. John Lewis called “good trouble” on a regular basis.
This position is ideal for a talented finance director with experience and a strong skill set in the financial management of both grants and contracts within a Research I university. The Associate Director should be prepared to work closely with the new Senior Director of Operations & Finance to problem-solve, take ownership over business and strategic initiatives, and “fight fires” where relevant. The Associate Director will work very closely with the Finance teams in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine and Temple University. The right candidate will support the Hope Center’s internal financial and administrative procedures to ensure Center goals are achieved and help to expand our portfolio to establish the Center as a Service Core at Temple University.
Our growing team is focused on opportunities for creating significant social change. We seek teammates who are committed to our mission, committed to creating and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment, and are capable and comfortable with working effectively in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Functions of Position
- Support a portfolio of at least two dozen grants and contracts, including government and philanthropy and totaling at least $4 million
- Assist the Senior Director of Operations & Finance and the Sustainability Team in strategic planning for financial sustainability, including becoming a Service Core at Temple University
- Monitor awards for suitability of terms & conditions
- Create and review budgets with the Senior Director of Operations & Finance monthly, including the preparation of budget summaries
- Coordinate the establishment for projects for grant and sub-awards
- Supervise payroll and various finance and accounting processes
- Attend professional development on emerging finance practices
This is an exciting time to join The Hope Center as we are poised to collaborate on higher education policy with our national partners in the coming year. Join a team of caring colleagues supporting academic success.